As the President of the Society of Structural Engineers of Sri Lanka (SSE-SL), I am pleased to release this message for the revamped Websiteof the Society.
Having understood the requirement of upgrading the existing Website with the advancement of the state of the art technology, the Website has been revamped and re-launched.
Since the website is an efficient and effective mode in providing Society News to the membership,I take this opportunity to invite the membership to interact with the Society activities through the new features provided in the new Web Site.
Further, I intend to work closely with all members of the Society on a number of priority and important areas while maintaining their present status / activities. Some of these are briefly detailed below.
- Gaining Industry recognition – including increased awareness among policy makers and the political leadership – to achieve prime responsibility status and lead role for Structural Engineers in the development, design and implementation of mega scale national engineering projects.
- Gaining wide recognition and awareness for Structural Engineering as a unique profession with a strong professional identity for contributions in:
- public safety and risk management,
- sustainable / economic resource use management, and
- application of innovative technologies for creation of environment friendly, inspirational structures and a sustainable built environment.
- Implementing training programmes to attract the “best and bright” engineering graduates to the field of structural engineering.
- Strengthening programmes for updating technical competencies; providing a forum for resolving technical issues; maintaining professional conduct / ethical behaviour internally among members of the Society and externally with Clients and other stakeholders.
- Promoting fund raising activities.
- Acquiring a suitable land for the Society Headquarters.
- Conducting Conferences and Workshops of international standard to facilitate knowledge transfer to our members.
I am confident that our membership will carefully consider these initiatives and give their fullest cooperation to help our Society to grow from strength to strength.
I wish all our members success in their professional endeavours.
Eng. K. L. S. SAHABANDU
BSc.Eng(Hons),PG Dip(Hyd),Msc. (Struct.) CEng,
MICE (Landon), MIE (SL), M Cons E (SL), FSSE (SL)