How to become an fellow member of the SSE, Sri Lanka :
- Candidate shall be more than 40 years of age.
- Shall be holding Corporate Member status of the Society and holding Corporate membership of a recognized Institution in Civil / Structural Engineering and practicing the profession of Structural Engineering for a period of not less than 10 years after obtaining Member status
- Shall possess a minimum of 10 years experience which is considered superior to that required for Corporate Membership.
- The Candidate shall
- Be able to show that, during a minimum of 10 years of experience which is considered superior to that required for Corporate Membership, he/she was responsible for structural designs and supervision of execution of structural engineering works of large Buildings and / or Civil Engineering Projects.
- Be able to show that he/she has been in charge of a structural engineering practice / section having several chartered / graduate engineers worked under his charge.
- Have made some outstanding contributions to the field of structural engineering in designs, management, development and research.
- The Candidate shall submit a Carrier Report or Detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) containing his involvements in Engineering particular in Structural Engineering.
The Carrier Report / CV shall have minimum 2000 words including the following areas,
- Education Qualifications
- Professional Qualifications
- Post-graduate Work experience
- Conferences, Seminars, Workshops and Question Time programs attended.
- Details of Publications and Presentations on subjects connected with Engineering particularly on Structural Engineering.
- Professional activities and contributions to the Engineering profession.
- Post graduate research or supervising of research works / studies carried out by graduate engineers.
- Any other information which may be useful to evaluate as described under item 6.
The Candidate will be assessed on the following competences through details given in the Application, Carrier Report / CV.
- Experience as a Structural Engineer after fulfilling requirements for election as a Corporate Member in Structural Engineering.(Experience in Design Office Management and/or Senior Management Position at reputed Engineering Organization or Senior Academic Posts at recognized University connected with Structural Engineering will be considered.) (40% marks)
- Continuing Professional Development (Post-graduate Diploma and Degrees in Structural Engineering, active participation of Conferences and Seminars connected with Structural Engineering particularly by publishing technical papers or making presentations, holding key positions in professional organizations / institutions connected with Engineering etc.) (20% marks)
- Details of Publications and Presentations on subjects connected with Engineering particularly on Structural Engineering. (15% marks)
- Research, Innovations and Development in Structural Engineering Field. (15% marks)
- Professional Activities (active involvement in professional Institutions, Societies and Committees particularly connected with Engineering). (10% marks). (15% marks)
- A two member panel appointed by the Executive Committee will evaluate the Fellowship Application together with other documents / information. The Candidate may be interviewed by the same panel if required.
Note: Candidate shall score minimum 50% from each category and the Total marks shall be not less than 60%)